Constitutions, Cultures and Practices
Panel discussion. The topic of the panel discussion is the status of democracy in states with particular democratic challenges.
Chair: Christel Fricke (UiO/Oslo)
– Professor and Research Director
Hikmet Hadjy-zadeh (Azerbaijan)
– Physicist, mathematician and democracy activist
Ioannis Tassopoulos (Greece)
– Assistant Professor in Public Law and specialist in constitutional law and theory
Issraa Murabit (Libya)
– Medical student and democracy activist – co-funder of the NGO "Voice of Libyan Women"
Nils Butenschøn (UiO/Oslo)
– Director, Norwegian Centre for Human Rights
The participants from Azerbaijan, Greece and Libya will contribute with information about the status quo in their countries as far as the building up of a democracy is concerned; they will present their work as democratic activists; they will share with the audience the main challenges they see for reaching their political goals as they meet them in their everyday work. The Norwegian participants will share some thoughts about which kind of democracy-building contributions from countries like Norway they consider most efficient. There will be time for questions from the audience.